We have a senior Bioinformatician/Computational Biologist position available at University of Massachusetts Medical School. Please see the job description below. To apply online, please go to
Thanks for your attention!
In MCCB of University of Massachusetts Medical School, we have developed a core team of accomplished computational biologists who work side-by-side with bench scientists to evaluate, select and develop algorithms and software pipelines to analyze, annotate, visualize and integrate various biological datasets, including those generated from high-throughput experiments such as ChIP-seq, ChIP-chip, RNA-seq, PAS-seq, iCLIP-seq, ATAC-Seq, miRNA-seq, exon sequencing, GUIDE-seq, single-cell sequencing, shRNA and gRNA screening, and CRISPR genome editing. We are active contributors to the Bioconductor project. We have developed more than a dozen packages with various utilities, ranging from machine learning, peak calling, annotation, visualization, to gRNA design and evaluation.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the bioinformatics core director, the senior Bioinformatician is responsible for developing novel algorithms and developing/enhancing/maintaining scientific software applications as well as providing bioinformatics data analysis support for various research projects.
- ¥ Develop novel algorithms and software tools for integrated data analysis and visualization of high-throughput dataset including next-generation sequencing data and proteomics data when existing software packages are not available or adequate
- ¥ Enhance/Maintain Bioconductor packages developed in house
- ¥ Collaborate closely with PIs and their lab members on research projects including evaluating, selecting, and implementing when needed the best of breed computational solutions for the analysis of biological data
- ¥ Develop rapid prototypes and custom scripts for one-off type of analysis requests
- ¥ Properly document the procedures used in computational analysis and provide summary report of results suitable for inclusion in manuscript and grant applications
- ¥ Participate in the oral presentation of all project findings and abstracts including participation in periodic project status meetings and presentation of final project deliverables.
- ¥ Local establishment and customization of genomic, proteomics databases and provide batch analysis utilities that make use of these resources
- ¥ Develop custom databases and web portals for managing raw and processed experimental data if needed
- ¥ Provide bioinformatics training and workshops for analysis pipelines and in-house developed software applications
- ¥ Coordinate and collaborate with other bioinformaticians, biostatisticians, information technology professionals, and interdepartmental project teams
- ¥ Perform other duties as required
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS for Bioinformatician III:
- ¥ Master's degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics or related computational disciplines
- ¥ Minimum 3 year bioinformatics-related research experience
- ¥ Proven research record such as co-authorship on peer-reviewed publications required
- ¥ Strong background in programming. Fluent in one programming language (Java or C/C++) and one scripting language (shell, Perl or Python)
- ¥ Knowledge in biostatistics packages (R or Matlab) and SQL queries are strongly suggested
- ¥ Strong communication skills, both the oral and written necessary to interact with a wide range of individuals
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS for Bioinformatician III
PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics or related discipline preferred
R/Bioconductor package developer/maintainer/Users preferred
Algorithm development experience preferred
Software development experience preferred
Experience running computational methods/pipelines in high performance computing clusters preferred