Question: LumiBatch: problem when renaming samples
0
gravatar for Cei Abreu-Goodger
11.2 years ago by
Mexico
Cei Abreu-Goodger830 wrote:
Hi all, this seems like a bug to me, but please correct me if I'm doing something wrong. If I rename the samples of a LumiBatch object, I can no longer subset them by name (with numbers it still works). Here's an example, followed by my sessionInfo. library(lumi) data(example.lumi) # This works example.lumi[,sampleNames(example.lumi)] # But if I rename the samples sampleNames(example.lumi) <- gsub("0","",sampleNames(example.lumi)) # It no longer works example.lumi[,sampleNames(example.lumi)] #Error in example.lumi[, sampleNames(example.lumi)] : # subscript out of bounds ================================================== > sessionInfo() R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22) i386-apple-darwin8.10.1 locale: C attached base packages: [1] stats graphics grDevices datasets tools utils methods [8] base other attached packages: [1] lumi_1.6.0 mgcv_1.3-30 affy_1.18.0 [4] preprocessCore_1.2.0 affyio_1.8.0 Biobase_2.0.0 -- The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.
• 670 views
ADD COMMENTlink modified 11.2 years ago by Wolfgang Huber13k • written 11.2 years ago by Cei Abreu-Goodger830
Answer: LumiBatch: problem when renaming samples
0
gravatar for Wolfgang Huber
11.2 years ago by
EMBL European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Wolfgang Huber13k wrote:
Dear Cei, Pan, thanks for reporting this. It appears indeed that it is a bug in the lumi package: the "LumiBatch" class inherits from Biobase's "eSet", but has additional slots, and one of the ugly effects is that the sampleNames are stored in multiple places. However, the "sampleNames<-" method is inherited from eSet without modification, so only updates those two places where they are in any eSet, but not the other, LumiBatch-specific occurences, leaving the object in an inconsistent state, which confuses the (LumiBatch- specific) "["-method. Best wishes Wolfgang ------------------------------------------------------------------ Wolfgang Huber EBI/EMBL Cambridge UK http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber Cei Abreu-Goodger a ?crit 05/05/2008 18:10: > > Hi all, this seems like a bug to me, but please correct me if I'm doing > something wrong. If I rename the samples of a LumiBatch object, I can no > longer subset them by name (with numbers it still works). Here's an > example, followed by my sessionInfo. > > library(lumi) > data(example.lumi) > > # This works > example.lumi[,sampleNames(example.lumi)] > > # But if I rename the samples > sampleNames(example.lumi) <- gsub("0","",sampleNames(example.lumi)) > > # It no longer works > example.lumi[,sampleNames(example.lumi)] > > #Error in example.lumi[, sampleNames(example.lumi)] : > # subscript out of bounds > > > ================================================== >> sessionInfo() > R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22) > i386-apple-darwin8.10.1 > > locale: > C > > attached base packages: > [1] stats graphics grDevices datasets tools utils methods > [8] base > > other attached packages: > [1] lumi_1.6.0 mgcv_1.3-30 affy_1.18.0 > [4] preprocessCore_1.2.0 affyio_1.8.0 Biobase_2.0.0 > >
ADD COMMENTlink written 11.2 years ago by Wolfgang Huber13k
Hi Cei, Thanks for reporting the bug. As Wolfgang mentioned, we just used the default "sampleNames<-", as a result, some of the colnames of additional elements were not changed. I have updated the code. The updated version is 1.7.2, which should be available in the next few days. Thanks! Pan On 5/6/08 7:43 AM, "Wolfgang Huber" <huber at="" ebi.ac.uk=""> wrote: > Dear Cei, Pan, > > thanks for reporting this. It appears indeed that it is a bug in the > lumi package: the "LumiBatch" class inherits from Biobase's "eSet", but > has additional slots, and one of the ugly effects is that the > sampleNames are stored in multiple places. > > However, the "sampleNames<-" method is inherited from eSet without > modification, so only updates those two places where they are in any > eSet, but not the other, LumiBatch-specific occurences, leaving the > object in an inconsistent state, which confuses the (LumiBatch- specific) > "["-method. > > Best wishes > Wolfgang > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------ > Wolfgang Huber EBI/EMBL Cambridge UK http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber > > > Cei Abreu-Goodger a ?crit 05/05/2008 18:10: >> >> Hi all, this seems like a bug to me, but please correct me if I'm doing >> something wrong. If I rename the samples of a LumiBatch object, I can no >> longer subset them by name (with numbers it still works). Here's an >> example, followed by my sessionInfo. >> >> library(lumi) >> data(example.lumi) >> >> # This works >> example.lumi[,sampleNames(example.lumi)] >> >> # But if I rename the samples >> sampleNames(example.lumi) <- gsub("0","",sampleNames(example.lumi)) >> >> # It no longer works >> example.lumi[,sampleNames(example.lumi)] >> >> #Error in example.lumi[, sampleNames(example.lumi)] : >> # subscript out of bounds >> >> >> ================================================== >>> sessionInfo() >> R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22) >> i386-apple-darwin8.10.1 >> >> locale: >> C >> >> attached base packages: >> [1] stats graphics grDevices datasets tools utils methods >> [8] base >> >> other attached packages: >> [1] lumi_1.6.0 mgcv_1.3-30 affy_1.18.0 >> [4] preprocessCore_1.2.0 affyio_1.8.0 Biobase_2.0.0 >> >> >
ADD REPLYlink written 11.2 years ago by Pan Du1.2k
I am trying to use rma or vsn on PM arrays (in particular Mouse 430). Both stoped with an "error in .local(object,...) : subscript out of bounds". (mmindex returns 0 for all probes. Is this the right coding for PM arrays or this is the problem?). Thanks for any help. Roumyana
ADD REPLYlink written 11.2 years ago by Roumyana Yordanova110
Roumyana Yordanova wrote: > I am trying to use rma or vsn on PM arrays (in particular Mouse 430). > Both stoped with an "error in .local(object,...) : subscript out of > bounds". > (mmindex returns 0 for all probes. Is this the right coding for PM > arrays or this is the problem?). > Thanks for any help. > > Roumyana Dear Roumyana, please send a reproducible example (R script, using data that we can access as well), the output of sessionInfo() and the exact error message you get. Then I or someone might be able to help. Best wishes Wolfgang ------------------------------------------------------------------ Wolfgang Huber EBI/EMBL Cambridge UK http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber
ADD REPLYlink written 11.2 years ago by Wolfgang Huber13k
Unfortunately the data are confidential so I can not send an example. Actually, the problem is in the summarization. Both vsn2 and rma work for the background and normalziation part but failed for the median polish algorithm. I can do all the steps separately (using pmindex in the last part to do the summary only for pm) and then everything works. Is there any opiton in rma (vsn) that specify use pm only for the summary, i.e. skip an estimation of mm(x). Actually the last command gives the error. Thanks. Roumyana Wolfgang Huber wrote: > Roumyana Yordanova wrote: > >> I am trying to use rma or vsn on PM arrays (in particular Mouse 430). >> Both stoped with an "error in .local(object,...) : subscript out of >> bounds". >> (mmindex returns 0 for all probes. Is this the right coding for PM >> arrays or this is the problem?). >> Thanks for any help. >> >> Roumyana > > > > Dear Roumyana, > > please send a reproducible example (R script, using data that we can > access as well), the output of sessionInfo() and the exact error > message you get. Then I or someone might be able to help. > > Best wishes > Wolfgang > > ------------------------------------------------------------------ > Wolfgang Huber EBI/EMBL Cambridge UK http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber >
ADD REPLYlink written 11.2 years ago by Roumyana Yordanova110
> Unfortunately the data are confidential so I can not send an example. If the output of "sessionInfo()" on your end, as well as a copy/paste of the error message thrown by R, are classified it is harder for people to try providing help. > Actually, the problem is in the summarization. Both vsn2 and rma work > for the background and normalziation part but failed for the median > polish algorithm. > I can do all the steps separately (using pmindex in the last part to do > the summary only for pm) and then everything works. > > Is there any opiton in rma (vsn) that specify use pm only for the > summary, i.e. skip an estimation of mm(x). Actually the last command > gives the error. > Thanks. > > Roumyana > > > Wolfgang Huber wrote: > >> Roumyana Yordanova wrote: >> >>> I am trying to use rma or vsn on PM arrays (in particular Mouse 430). >>> Both stoped with an "error in .local(object,...) : subscript out of >>> bounds". >>> (mmindex returns 0 for all probes. Is this the right coding for PM >>> arrays or this is the problem?). >>> Thanks for any help. >>> >>> Roumyana >> >> >> >> Dear Roumyana, >> >> please send a reproducible example (R script, using data that we can >> access as well), the output of sessionInfo() and the exact error >> message you get. Then I or someone might be able to help. >> >> Best wishes >> Wolfgang >> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------ >> Wolfgang Huber EBI/EMBL Cambridge UK http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber >> > > _______________________________________________ > Bioconductor mailing list > Bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/bioconductor > Search the archives: > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor >
ADD REPLYlink written 11.2 years ago by lgautier@altern.org950
This seems to be an issue with the way AffyBatch object is created. The error is: >library(htmg430pmcdf) >data <-ReadAffy(filenames=dir()) >data AffyBatch object size of arrays=744x744 features (14 kb) cdf=HT_MG-430_PM (45163 affyids) number of samples=6 number of genes=45163 annotation=htmg430pm notes= > mm(data) Error in .local(object, ...) : subscript out of bounds In addition: Warning message: NAs introduced by coercion in: .local(object, ...) >mmIndex(data) ------ $`1428469_PM_a_at` [1] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 $`1428470_PM_at` [1] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 $`1428471_PM_at` [1] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 $`1428472_PM_at` [1] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 $`1428473_PM_at` [1] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 $`1428474_PM_at` [1] 0 0 0 0 0 -------- I am not sure what is the proper coding for mm indexes in a case of PM arrays. Is there an option in ReadAffy that should be used for PM arrays? If this can be fixed then rma and justvsn should work. Thanks. Roumyana >> Unfortunately the data are confidential so I can not send an example. >> > > If the output of "sessionInfo()" on your end, > as well as a copy/paste of the error message thrown by R, > are classified it is harder for people to try providing help. > > > >> Actually, the problem is in the summarization. Both vsn2 and rma work >> for the background and normalziation part but failed for the median >> polish algorithm. >> I can do all the steps separately (using pmindex in the last part to do >> the summary only for pm) and then everything works. >> >> Is there any opiton in rma (vsn) that specify use pm only for the >> summary, i.e. skip an estimation of mm(x). Actually the last command >> gives the error. >> Thanks. >> >> Roumyana >> >> >> Wolfgang Huber wrote: >> >> >>> Roumyana Yordanova wrote: >>> >>> >>>> I am trying to use rma or vsn on PM arrays (in particular Mouse 430). >>>> Both stoped with an "error in .local(object,...) : subscript out of >>>> bounds". >>>> (mmindex returns 0 for all probes. Is this the right coding for PM >>>> arrays or this is the problem?). >>>> Thanks for any help. >>>> >>>> Roumyana >>>> >>> Dear Roumyana, >>> >>> please send a reproducible example (R script, using data that we can >>> access as well), the output of sessionInfo() and the exact error >>> message you get. Then I or someone might be able to help. >>> >>> Best wishes >>> Wolfgang >>> >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------ >>> Wolfgang Huber EBI/EMBL Cambridge UK http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber >>> >>> >> _______________________________________________ >> Bioconductor mailing list >> Bioconductor@stat.math.ethz.ch >> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/bioconductor >> Search the archives: >> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor >> >> > > > > [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
ADD REPLYlink written 11.2 years ago by Roumyana Yordanova110
Please log in to add an answer.

Help
Access

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Powered by Biostar version 16.09
Traffic: 140 users visited in the last hour