error while using goProfiles package on arabidopsis entrez gene IDs
0
0
Entering edit mode
Marc Carlson ★ 7.2k
@marc-carlson-2264
Last seen 4.7 years ago
United States
Hi, So now I can see a little better what you are doing. The problem is what is happening inside of goProfiles. Now this is not my package and I have never really used it much myself, so I just did a little debugging to see what was happening, and this is what I found: The basicProfile() function is expecting you to give it a central ID for the org package you name for it. It seems to be assuming that this will be an entrez gene ID. But that is *not* what the arabidopsis community usually uses. That community likes to use TAIR IDs. So the org.At.tair.db, uses TAIR IDs as the central ID (this is why TAIR is in the middle of the package name). You can get and use entrez gene IDs with the org.At.tair.db package, but they are not the central id that is expected by many of the older methods like mget() etc. These days, we have moved away from that model and now use the select method. We feel it's less confusing since there is no longer the need to pay attention to which key type is most important for a package etc. Instead the select() interface just asks you to provide the kind of key that you are using. We feel this is more transparent. So anyways here is how I was able to make it run: ## 1st take some of your entrez gene IDs egIDs <- c("839235", "838362", "838961", "837091", "837455", "837543") ## use select to quickly translate these into TAIR IDs, and then grab that column of IDs back out. ## (You may find it more convenient to just start with the TAIR IDs that you said were in your file, but I don't have those here) tairIDs <- as.character(select(org.At.tair.db, keys=egIDs, cols="TAIR", keytype="ENTREZID")[[2]]) ## THEN call basicProfile function and pass in tair IDs instead... ## Now when it calls mget on the GO mapping, it will actually get some matches. basicProfile(tairIDs, idType="Entrez", onto ="ANY", level=2, orgPackage="org.At.tair.db", ord=FALSE) I hope this helps you, Marc On 08/22/2013 02:07 AM, dd [guest] wrote: > Hi all, > I was using goProfiles package for functional analysis using a genelist of 316 Arabidopsis entrez gene IDs as shown below in the R command sessionInfo(). > > - Read a file containing Entrez IDs and TAIR IDs. > - Subset the Entrez IDs and converted to character vector. > - Used the vector as genelist. > -Used goProfiles package function basicProfile for this genelist with organism package of Arabidopsis. > > OUTPUT :Error in GOtermslist[[i]] : subscript out of bounds. > > Can somebody please help me in finding any mistake I might have done? > > Thanks in advance. > > -- output of sessionInfo(): > > Console output : > >>> a<-read.table("tair_ids to gene_ids.csv" ,header=TRUE,sep=",") >> >>> b<-as.character(a[,2]) >>> head(b) >> [1] "839235" "838362" "838961" "837091" "837455" "837543" >> >>> h<-basicProfile(b,idType="Entrez",onto ="ANY",level=2,orgPackage="org.At.tair.db",ord=FALSE) >> Error in GOtermslist[[i]] : subscript out of bounds > -- > Sent via the guest posting facility at bioconductor.org. > > _______________________________________________ > Bioconductor mailing list > Bioconductor at r-project.org > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/bioconductor > Search the archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.informatics.conductor
GO Organism goProfiles GO Organism goProfiles • 793 views
ADD COMMENT

Login before adding your answer.

Traffic: 318 users visited in the last hour
Help About
FAQ
Access RSS
API
Stats

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Powered by the version 2.3.6