Location: Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD
We are looking to hire a computational biologist (postdocs preferred) to support various bioinformatics projects in lab. We are a cancer epigenetics lab with a focus in translating our findings into the clinic. We have various fully-funded ongoing projects in pancreatic and colorectal cancers. We are a small, productive and friendly lab that puts a high value on team work, efficiency and creativity. We are housed in the department of oncology within the University, which provides various opportunities to interact and collaborate with world class experts in clinical science, surgery, basic science and bioinformatics.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with the ability to handle multiple projects at the same time. There will be ample opportunities to lead as well as participate in various projects as well as get authorship based on contribution to projects. Candidates are also encouraged to participate in various courses, workshops and research conferences throughout the year. Mentorship and guidance will be provided to help the candidate navigate through their projects as well as their professional development.
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics/Molecular Biology (preferable). Master’s degree with at least two years of relevant experience will be considered.
- Eligible to work in USA
- Experience working with methylation, expression microarrays and RNA seq and NGS Data.
- Previous background in cancer research and epigenetics is preferred.
- Proficiency in R (mandatory) and UNIX shell scripting. Programming skills in Python and Perl is a plus.
- Workable knowledge of various data repositories like TCGA (must), GEO (must), ArrayExpress, ICGC etc.
- Familiarity with various open-source bioinformatics software packages (e.g. Bioconductor (preferred), Tuxedo Suite etc.).
- Comfortable working on UNIX environment. Previous experience working with high performance cluster (HPC) is a plus.
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.