blastSequences queries failing due to BLAST switch to https?
1
0
Entering edit mode
@arielhecht-11631
Last seen 5.6 years ago

I was using blastSequences in the annotate package to run BLAST queries from R. At first I was getting the following error message:

Error: failed to load external entity "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/Blast.cgi?QUERY=AGCCGGTATACACGAA&DATABASE=nr&HITLIST_SIZE=10&FILTER=L&EXPECT=10&PROGRAM=blastn&CMD=Put" ​

I assumed that this was because NCBI switched over to requiring https on Sep. 30, 2016: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/news/06-10-2016-ncbi-https/. I tried modifying the blastSequences code using trace(blastSequences,edit=T) and changing editing the url to use https. I then got the following error message:

Error in Sys.sleep(time) : invalid 'time' value

In addition: Warning message:
XML content does not seem to be XML: 'https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/Blast.cgi?QUERY=AGCCGGTATACACGAA&DATABASE=nr&HITLIST_SIZE=10&FILTER=L&EXPECT=10&PROGRAM=blastn&CMD=Put' ​

Does anyone know how to address this issue? Is there an update of blastSequences forthcoming to address this issue?

Thanks!

annotate blastSequences BLAST https • 1.5k views
ADD COMMENT
1
Entering edit mode
@martin-morgan-1513
Last seen 6 days ago
United States

Changing the url is not enough, https:// needs to be retrieved via RCurl::getURL() and then parsed by XML.This has been fixed in the 'devel' branch for a while, but I neglected to port it to release. It should appear as 1.50.1 at about this time tomorrow. Thanks for the report!

ADD COMMENT
0
Entering edit mode

Awesome, thanks for responding so quickly! I'll download the update and see if it works!

ADD REPLY

Login before adding your answer.

Traffic: 265 users visited in the last hour
Help About
FAQ
Access RSS
API
Stats

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Powered by the version 2.3.6