I am attempting to examine alternative splicing with edgeR. I have moved through the analysis without obvious problems. However, when I investigate individual genes that show up as alternatively spliced (e.g. plotSpliceDGE) I notice that often what appears to be the same exon with the same start coordinate is repeated multiple times (see attached image for example). It doesn't happen for every gene, but spot checking suggests that it happens to a lot of them. I have also noticed that sometimes none of the exons are coded in red, even thought the gene supposedly has alternatively spliced exons. Any insight on why these issues occur would be greatly appreciated, thank you! I've included code below (including what I did in Rsubread because I'm not sure exactly where the problem is originating.
subjunc(index="mel_index",readfile1=reads1_2, readfile2=reads2_2, nthreads=8) bamlist_splicing=list.files(pattern=".subjunc.sorted.BAM$") counts_splicing <- featureCounts(bamlist_splicing, annot.ext="dmel-all-r6.38.gtf", isGTFAnnotationFile=TRUE, GTF.featureType="exon", useMetaFeatures=FALSE, allowMultiOverlap=TRUE, isPairedEnd=TRUE) Counts_splicing_DGE <- DGEList(counts_splicing$counts, genes=counts_splicing$annotation, group=groups) filter_keep_splicing <- filterByExpr(Counts_splicing_DGE) Counts_splicing_DGE_filtered <- Counts_splicing_DGE[filter_keep_splicing,] Counts_splicing_DGE_filtered_norm_factors <- calcNormFactors(Counts_splicing_DGE_filtered) design <- model.matrix(~0+Group) colnames(design) <- levels(Group) Counts_splicing_DGE_filtered_norm_factors <- estimateDisp(Counts_splicing_DGE_filtered_norm_factors, design) fit_splicing <- glmQLFit(Counts_splicing_DGE_filtered_norm_factors, design) ControlvsMutant.F.1.splicing <- diffSpliceDGE(fit_splicing, geneid="GeneID", exonid="Start", contrast=contrasts[,"Y.F.1vsC.F.1"]) ControlvsMutant.F.1.splicing.results=topSpliceDGE(ControlvsMutant.F.1.splicing, test="Simes", n=Inf, FDR=1) plotSpliceDGE(ControlvsMutant.F.1.splicing, geneid="FBgn0033749") # include your problematic code here with any corresponding output # please also include the results of running the following in an R session sessionInfo( ) R version 4.0.4 (2021-02-15) Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit) Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Matrix products: default BLAS: /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib locale:  en_US.UTF-8 attached base packages:  stats4 parallel stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base other attached packages:  Rsubread_2.4.3 GenomicFeatures_1.42.2 GenomicRanges_1.42.0 GenomeInfoDb_1.26.4 ASpli_2.0.0  AnnotationDbi_1.52.0 IRanges_2.24.1 S4Vectors_0.28.1 Biobase_2.50.0 BiocGenerics_0.36.0  edgeR_3.32.1 limma_3.46.0 loaded via a namespace (and not attached):  colorspace_2.0-0 ellipsis_0.3.1 biovizBase_1.38.0 htmlTable_2.1.0  XVector_0.30.0 base64enc_0.1-3 dichromat_2.0-0 rstudioapi_0.13  DT_0.17 bit64_4.0.5 fansi_0.4.2 xml2_1.3.2  splines_4.0.4 cachem_1.0.4 knitr_1.31 Formula_1.2-4  Rsamtools_2.6.0 cluster_2.1.1 dbplyr_2.1.0 png_0.1-7  BiocManager_1.30.10 compiler_4.0.4 httr_1.4.2 backports_1.2.1  lazyeval_0.2.2 assertthat_0.2.1 Matrix_1.3-2 fastmap_1.1.0  htmltools_0.5.1.1 prettyunits_1.1.1 tools_4.0.4 igraph_1.2.6  gtable_0.3.0 glue_1.4.2 GenomeInfoDbData_1.2.4 dplyr_1.0.5  rappdirs_0.3.3 tinytex_0.30 Rcpp_1.0.6 vctrs_0.3.6  Biostrings_2.58.0 rtracklayer_1.50.0 xfun_0.22 stringr_1.4.0  lifecycle_1.0.0 ensembldb_2.14.0 statmod_1.4.35 XML_3.99-0.6  zlibbioc_1.36.0 MASS_7.3-53.1 scales_1.1.1 BiocStyle_2.18.1  BSgenome_1.58.0 VariantAnnotation_1.36.0 ProtGenerics_1.22.0 hms_1.0.0  MatrixGenerics_1.2.1 SummarizedExperiment_1.20.0 AnnotationFilter_1.14.0 RColorBrewer_1.1-2  yaml_2.2.1 curl_4.3 memoise_2.0.0 gridExtra_2.3  ggplot2_3.3.3 UpSetR_1.4.0 biomaRt_2.46.3 rpart_4.1-15  latticeExtra_0.6-29 stringi_1.5.3 RSQLite_2.2.4 checkmate_2.0.0  BiocParallel_1.24.1 rlang_0.4.10 pkgconfig_2.0.3 matrixStats_0.58.0  bitops_1.0-6 evaluate_0.14 lattice_0.20-41 purrr_0.3.4  htmlwidgets_1.5.3 GenomicAlignments_1.26.0 bit_4.0.4 tidyselect_1.1.0  plyr_1.8.6 magrittr_2.0.1 R6_2.5.0 generics_0.1.0  Hmisc_4.5-0 DelayedArray_0.16.2 DBI_1.1.1 pillar_1.5.1  foreign_0.8-81 survival_3.2-10 RCurl_1.98-1.3 nnet_7.3-15  tibble_3.1.0 crayon_1.4.1 utf8_1.2.1 BiocFileCache_1.14.0  rmarkdown_2.7 jpeg_0.1-8.1 progress_1.2.2 locfit_1.5-9.4  grid_4.0.4 data.table_1.14.0 blob_1.2.1 digest_0.6.27  tidyr_1.1.3 openssl_1.4.3 munsell_0.5.0 Gviz_1.34.1  askpass_1.1