Combining RangedData objects is broken (IRanges 2.8.1 with R version 3.3.3 RC)
1
1
Entering edit mode
mdoering ▴ 10
@mdoering-12332
Last seen 14 months ago

Dear all,

I have just installed the current R development version to verify whether my package works on the newest R release and I've encountered an issue when combining RangedData/IRanges objects. 

 

library(IRanges)

c(IRanges(), IRanges())
Error in c(IRanges(), IRanges()) : 
  could not find symbol "recursive" in environment of the generic function

c(RangedData(), RangedData())

 

The RangedData doc says

Note that the use of ‘RangedData’ and ‘RangedDataList’ objects has
     been discouraged in favor of ‘GRanges’ and ‘GRangesList’ objects
     since BioC 2.12.

so I guess that everyone switch to GRanges now. In this case, could you output a deprecation warning somehow?

 

Thanks for clarification and best

 Matthias

IRanges • 2.9k views
ADD COMMENT
0
Entering edit mode

I'm guessing something in your package library is out of sync. Might try reinstalling IRanges or its dependencies.

ADD REPLY
0
Entering edit mode

I just switched to GRanges() and the problem persists. I already reinstalled IRanges and the current version seems to be loaded. Here's my session - thanks for having a look :-)
 

R version 3.3.3 RC (2017-02-28 r72298)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C              
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8    
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8   
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C                 
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C            
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C       

attached base packages:
[1] stats4    parallel  stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets 
[8] methods   base     

other attached packages:
 [1] GenomicRanges_1.26.3 GenomeInfoDb_1.10.3  BiocInstaller_1.24.0
 [4] doParallel_1.0.10    iterators_1.0.8      foreach_1.4.3       
 [7] IRanges_2.8.1        S4Vectors_0.12.1     BiocGenerics_0.20.0 
[10] openPrimeR_0.99.0    DT_0.2               shinyBS_0.61        
[13] shinyjs_0.9          shiny_1.0.0          devtools_1.12.0     
[16] roxygen2_6.0.1      

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
 [1] jsonlite_1.3          splines_3.3.3         Formula_1.2-1        
 [4] assertthat_0.1        latticeExtra_0.6-28   yaml_2.1.14          
 [7] RSQLite_1.1-2         backports_1.0.5       lattice_0.20-34      
[10] digest_0.6.12         RColorBrewer_1.1-2    XVector_0.14.0       
[13] checkmate_1.8.2       colorspace_1.3-2      htmltools_0.3.5      
[16] httpuv_1.3.3          Matrix_1.2-8          plyr_1.8.4           
[19] XML_3.98-1.5          zlibbioc_1.18.0       xtable_1.8-2         
[22] scales_0.4.1          stringdist_0.9.4.4    htmlTable_1.9        
[25] tibble_1.2            ggplot2_2.2.1         withr_1.0.2          
[28] nnet_7.3-12           lazyeval_0.2.0        survival_2.40-1      
[31] magrittr_1.5          crayon_1.3.2          mime_0.5             
[34] memoise_1.0.0         nlme_3.1-131          xml2_1.1.1           
[37] foreign_0.8-67        tools_3.3.3           data.table_1.10.4    
[40] stringr_1.2.0         V8_1.2                munsell_0.4.3        
[43] cluster_2.0.5         Biostrings_2.42.1     compiler_3.3.3       
[46] ade4_1.7-5            RCurl_1.95-4.8        grid_3.3.3           
[49] htmlwidgets_0.8       miniUI_0.1.1          bitops_1.0-6         
[52] tcltk_3.3.3           base64enc_0.1-3       testthat_1.0.2       
[55] gtable_0.2.0          codetools_0.2-15      curl_2.3             
[58] DBI_0.5-1             sets_1.0-16           reshape2_1.4.2       
[61] R6_2.2.0              lpSolveAPI_5.5.2.0-17 gridExtra_2.2.1      
[64] knitr_1.15.1          seqinr_3.3-3          commonmark_1.2       
[67] Hmisc_4.0-2           ape_4.1               stringi_1.1.2        
[70] Rcpp_0.12.9           DECIPHER_2.2.0        rpart_4.1-10         
[73] acepack_1.4.1   

Best

 Matthias

ADD REPLY
16
Entering edit mode
@martin-morgan-1513
Last seen 5 days ago
United States

This is due to an unintentional change introduced into R-3.3.3.  The following Bioconductor packages need to be re-installed. For the next several days, the packages need to be installed 'from source', which for some packages requires tools to compile C and other code. See Windows and Mac-specific instructions; new packages compatible with R-3.3.3 will be available as soon as possible, but perhaps not until after the weekend.

pkgs <- c(
    "S4Vectors", "IRanges", "GenomicRanges", "DelayedArray",
    "XVector", "GenomicAlignments", "ShortRead",
    "VariantAnnotation", "AnnotationHub", "GGtools",
    "ggbio", "ChemmineR", "InteractionSet", "flowCore",
    "GenomicTuples", "CNEr", "MultiAssayExperiment",
    "genomeIntervals", "TFBSTools", "IWTomics", "spliceSites",
    "podkat", "kebabs", "matter", "dada2",
    "ClusterSignificance", "gespeR", "HiTC", "tigre", "soGGi"
)
update <- intersect(rownames(installed.packages()), pkgs)
biocLite(update, type="source", ask=FALSE)

The only alternative is to avoid updating R until the situation is resolved.

ADD COMMENT
0
Entering edit mode

Thanks a bunch! I thought I already re-installed all of the IRanges dependencies but apparently I didn't. Combining RangeData objects worked after this and combining GRanges also works now after re-installing GenomicRanges too.

 

Best

 Matthias

ADD REPLY
0
Entering edit mode

Great, works for me but had to specify type = "source" in order to fix the problem.

ADD REPLY

Login before adding your answer.

Traffic: 392 users visited in the last hour
Help About
FAQ
Access RSS
API
Stats

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Powered by the version 2.3.6