DMRcate shows incorrect overlapping non-coding RNA genes
0
0
Entering edit mode
Mike ▴ 10
@mike-12142
Last seen 4 months ago

I'm using DMRcate to identify and annotate differentially methylated regions and I think it's giving incorrect information about overlapping genes, at least for some non coding RNA. I even see this in the DMRcate pdf manual https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/DMRcate.html.

On pages 5/6 the first range is chr2:87014979-87021117, using genome hg19. It says it overlaps SNORA73. In the UCSC Genome Browser SNORA73 is at chr18:53,746,625-53,746,825.

The second range in the manual is chr17:47286445-47289036, it says it overlaps SNORA69 and the gene ABI3. ABI3 is correct but the UCSC Genome Browser says SNORA69 is at chrX:118,921,316-118,921,447.

The fourth range correctly shows the gene SKI at chr1:2160666-2166155 while the Browser lists the non-coding RNA snoU13 at 4 possible locations, none of which overlap this region.

I've check a few of the ranges from my own data, the genes are correct the snoRNAs aren't.

I did a fresh install of R, Bioconductor, and all my packages less than 2 weeks ago so everything should be up to date. I see the same results in data analyzed several months ago.

Could this be a bug in DMRcate? What database is DMRcate using for its genes, particularly non-coding RNAs?

Update: DMRcate uses R package DMRcatedata to get gene info, the DMRcatedata manual says it uses this database for hg19: ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/release-75/gtf/homo_sapiens/Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.75.gtf.gz. I downloaded it and looked for all lines with SNORA73. None of them show SNORA73 at chr2:87014979-87021117 like DMRcate says it is, there's one on chr2 but it's at chr2:3628160-3628322 which matches a Gencode annotation in the UCSC Genome Browser.

DMRcate • 71 views
ADD COMMENT

Login before adding your answer.

Traffic: 491 users visited in the last hour
Help About
FAQ
Access RSS
API
Stats

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Powered by the version 2.3.6