limma Normalization question
Entering edit mode
Last seen 7.1 years ago
Hi Everyone I've described my experiment in an earlier message, on Nov 16. After running the commands (see end of message for commands) I looked at the plotMA(fit2)plot. I attached the plot. It seems to me that at high A-values, the plot is going more in the direction of positive M-values. I tested a few genes in the circled area (for high A-values)with Q-RT-PCR and it confirms that these genes should have M-values around 0. The fact that more genes are down-regulated, than up-regulated is expected from our knowledge of the experiment. In the limma Users Guide (6 Oct 2005) p21, it says that loess does not assume equal number of genes up- and down-regulated, so this should not be a problem. I have about 2500 unique genes on the array.However it does say that most genes need to be not differentially expressed. I estimate about 60% of genes are not differentially expressed. In a message on this board (Sept 3, 2003), Gordon Smyth suggests the use of the following command if a large number of genes are differentially expressed. normalizeWithinArrays(RG, method="robustspline", robust="MM") However I get 18 of the following warning messages: Warning messages: 1: rlm failed to converge in 20 steps in: rlm.default(x, y, weights = w, method = method) I believe Paul Boutros suggested a fix for this in a message on this board(Aug 11 2004), but since I don't know much about the subject, I'm not very eager to change the limma code (I think that is what he suggest). How can I fix this problem I'm having at high A-Values? I get the correct results at low A-values. I have analised this data also with limmaGUI (I just treated all replicates as biological)and I get the similar results. I used several different within and between normalization methods, but cannot get better results. I even tried normalizing with Genespring, altough I know it is not apropriate for loop designs. With Genesspring I can get an acceptable MA plot if I use "Per array normalizations to the 20th percentile". However I'm not very comfortable with this, since inspecting the MA plots before normalization, I can see that I have an intensity dependent bias on all my arrays. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Code I Used: (I get the same results with the code suggested by Steen Krogsgaard on Nov 17) library(limma) setwd("C:\\Program Files\\R_JSM\\rw2011\\RFlimma") targets <- readTargets() show(targets) RG <- read.maimages(targets$FileName, columns=list(R="Rf",G="Gf",Rb="Rb",Gb="Gb")) RG$genes <- readGAL() spottypes <-readSpotTypes() RG$genes$Status <-controlStatus(spottypes, RG) MA <- normalizeWithinArrays(RG, method="loess") MA <- normalizeBetweenArrays(MA, method="Aquantile") design <-modelMatrix(targets,ref="S1") cor <- duplicateCorrelation(MA,design,ndups=3,spacing=3120) cor$consensus.correlation fit <-lmFit(MA,design,ndups=3,spacing=3120,correlation=0.3128828) cont.matrix <- makeContrasts(fvss=(F1+F2+F3-S2-S3)/3, levels=design) fit2 <-, cont.matrix) fit2 <- eBayes(fit2) plotMA(fit2) Thanks Cecilia McGregor PhD Student Sweetpotato Breeding and Genetics Lab JC Miller Hall room 236 Louisiana State University Baton Rouge LA, 70803 USA Phone: (225) 578 2173
Genetics Normalization limma GeneSpring limmaGUI Genetics Normalization limma GeneSpring • 549 views

Login before adding your answer.

Traffic: 176 users visited in the last hour
Help About
Access RSS

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

Powered by the version 2.3.6