Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
A postdoctoral position in the laboratory of Dr. Gavin Ha and the Computational Biology Program is available immediately. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who is interested in studying cancer and understanding the genetic and epigenetic basis driving cancer progression. Candidates who are excited about large/complex ‘omics’ data analysis and methods development for cancer research are encouraged to apply. The position has a duration of at least one year with a competitive salary and great benefits.
The Ha lab is establishing a research program that uses new DNA sequencing technologies to study cancer genomes. The lab is also focused on research involving liquid biopsies, such as cell-free DNA, and developing new computational approaches to leverage these data for genome discovery and cancer burden monitoring. The research interests/projects in the Ha lab include:
- Analysis of cancer genomes to understand tumor progression/evolution, metastatic disease, non-coding genome alterations, copy number alterations, genome rearrangements and 3D structure, mutational signatures
- Development of novel computational algorithms for long-range (linked-reads or long-reads) whole genome sequencing of tumors
- Analysis of linked-read whole genome sequencing data to uncover novel alterations driving metastatic prostate cancer
- Analysis of cell-free DNA in plasma samples from patients under treatment
- Development and analysis of sensitive approaches to detect tumor-derived DNA in cell-free DNA from patient blood plasma
- The lab will work with collaborators to validate results using functional experiments
Candidates with strong interest and/or expertise in any of these research areas are highly encouraged to apply
- Cancer genomics, liquid biopsies, tumor evolution/heterogeneity
- Application of statistical modeling, algorithm design, artificial intelligence to study cancer and genetics
- Analysis of large, complex genome, epigenome, or transcriptome data
Applicants must have a PhD in one of these disciplines: Computational biology, bioinformatics, computer science, data science, statistics, computer/electrical engineering, physics, or other related fields
Applicants should have some of the following skills and experience:
- Work well in team environments; strong communication/organization skills; detail-oriented
- Strong programming experience (R, Python, Matlab, Java, C/C++, Perl or other languages for research)
- Experience with high performance computing environments and cloud computing environments is a plus
- Experience with analyzing sequencing data is considered a strong asset
- Applicants must have a demonstrated publication track record.
- A background in cancer biology (esp in prostate or breast cancer) is considered a strong asset.
To apply, please submit your application with the following:
- a several paragraph statement of research interests
- names and email addresses of three references
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.