In MCCB of University of Massachusetts Medical School, we have developed a core team of accomplished computational biologists who work side-by-side with bench scientists to evaluate, select and develop algorithms and software pipelines to analyze, annotate, visualize and integrate various biological datasets, including those generated from high-throughput experiments such as ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, PAS-seq, ATAC-Seq, miRNA-seq, exon sequencing, GUIDE-seq, single-cell sequencing, NAD-Seq, PAS-Seq, shRNA and gRNA screening, and CRISPR genome editing. We are active contributors to the open-source open-development Bioconductor project. We have developed more than a dozen packages with various utilities, ranging from machine learning, peak calling, annotation, visualization, to gRNA design and evaluation.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the bioinformatics core director, the senior Bioinformatician is responsible for developing novel algorithms and developing/enhancing/maintaining scientific software applications as well as providing bioinformatics data analysis support for various research projects.
- Develop novel algorithms and software tools for integrated data analysis and visualization of high-throughput dataset including next-generation sequencing data and proteomics data when existing software packages are not available or adequate
- Enhance/Maintain Bioconductor packages developed in house
- Collaborate closely with PIs and their lab members on research projects including evaluating, selecting, and implementing when needed the best of breed computational solutions for the analysis of biological data
- Develop rapid prototypes and custom scripts for one-off type of analysis requests
- Properly document the procedures used in computational analysis and provide summary report of results suitable for inclusion in manuscript and grant applications
- Participate in the oral presentation of all project findings and abstracts including participation in periodic project status meetings and presentation of final project deliverables.
- Local establishment and customization of genomic, proteomics databases and provide batch analysis utilities that make use of these resources
- Develop custom databases and web portals for managing raw and processed experimental data if needed
- Provide bioinformatics training and workshops for analysis pipelines and in-house developed software applications
- Coordinate and collaborate with other bioinformaticians, biostatisticians, information technology professionals, and interdepartmental project teams
- Perform other duties as required
- Master's degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics or related computational disciplines
- Minimum 3 year bioinformatics-related research experience
- Proven research record such as co-authorship on peer-reviewed publications required
- Strong background in programming. Fluent in one programming language (Java or C/C++) and one scripting language (shell, Perl or Python)
- Knowledge in biostatistics packages (R or Matlab) and SQL queries are strongly suggested
- Strong communication skills, both the oral and written necessary to interact with a wide range of individuals
- PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics or related discipline preferred
- R/Bioconductor package developer/maintainer/Users preferred
- Algorithm development experience preferred
- Software development experience preferred
- Experience running computational methods/pipelines in high performance computing clusters preferred
Additional Information: Why Join UMass Medical School? The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package including four weeks paid vacation, free tuition at any Massachusetts state school, a robust and affordable variety of health and dental plans, participation in the state retirement plan, and a rewarding environment driven by distinctive work in progressive education and research.
If challenging and competitive work in a fast paced environment appeal to you, consider sharing your talents with one of the fastest growing academic health centers in the country.
Ranked 7th in primary-care education and 48th in research among the United States' 125 medical schools in the 2012 .S. News & World Report annual guide, "America’s Best Graduate Schools,” UMMS is also a world recognized research center. Beyond its core mission of distinction in health sciences education, UMMS has exploded onto the national and international scene as a major center for research with UMMS researchers making pivotal advances in HIV, cancer, diabetes, genetic disorders, infectious disease and in understanding the molecular basis of disease.