UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure-track or tenured full-time position in Computer science applied to life sciences. Vacancy Reference : 26802 / EPL 076 / 2021 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations with specialists in the field of medicine, life sciences, mathematical, numerical and computational sciences, electronics, energy, among many others. The position is attached to the Louvain School of Engineering and to the Institute for Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Louvain-la-Neuve site offers a unique living environment conveniently located at the heart of Europe. The Charleroi site offers a quality environment in higher education, at the heart of a region in full economic development, centred on new technologies.
The successful candidate will have teaching assignments in our new bachelor's degree in computer science and e-health being created at the site of Charleroi, as well as in teaching in the computer science degrees at Louvain-la-Neuve, in particular the bachelor of computer science, the master in computer science engineering and the master in computer science. Bachelor level courses are taught mainly in French, master level courses exclusively in English.
The successful candidate will develop and drive a cutting-edge research in computer science that help solve difficult problems in the fields of medicine or life sciences in a large sense. More specifically, the candidate will be an expert in one or more of the following research areas, without however wanting to be exhaustive:
- medical or biomedical informatics;
- bioinformatics or biostatistics;
- analysis, management or visualization of medical and biological data;
- software engineering of medical systems;
- artificial intelligence;
- ubiquitous computing;
- high performance scientific computing.
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and take on responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- Contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Required Qualifications : the applicant must have
- A PhD degree in Computer science or engineering sciences with an IT orientation or any comparable discipline;
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his or her university of origin;
- A significant scientific record with international publications;
- Experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
- The capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- The capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funds, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- Team management and communication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise, the applicant will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
The candidate’s involvement in the new Bachelor’s degree in computer science in Charleroi should be seen by the candidate as a unique opportunity to increase the visibility and development of computer science and e-health in Belgium and the region of Charleroi in particular. Given the involvement in the teaching of this Bachelor degree, knowledge of the French language, spoken and written, is essential. In addition to teaching qualities, the quality of research will be an important factor in the selection of the candidate. Experience in open source software development will also be seen as an important asset.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: jobs.uclouvain.be. Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.
- Application deadline: Monday, November 16, 2020 at noon
- Starting date: 1st September, 2021
Further information and applications: https://jobs.uclouvain.be/PersonnelAcademique/job/An-academic-position-in-Computer-science-applied-to-life-sciences-(1-FTE)/624611301/