Versiti was founded with the belief that together, our blood centers can better serve patients’ urgent need for life-saving healthcare. We love what we do, and we’re looking for passionate individuals to join the Versiti family. We foster a diverse environment that affirms each employee’s dignity and worth, and we offer a chance to work with a team of compassionate people who provide lifesaving blood to our communities on a daily basis.
What you can expect in this position:
The Blood Research Institute (a part of Versiti) is searching for a computational biologist who will specialize in the analysis both bulk and single-cell massively-parallel RNA sequence data derived from model organisms (mouse, rat, and human). While RNA sequence analysis will be a main part of your mission, there will also be opportunities to analyze DNA sequence and glycan/lectin phenotyping array datasets. If you have a passion for next-generation sequencing, analysis of large biological datasets, and science communication, we want to hear from you.
What you will do:
- Aid research laboratories in designing interpretable sequencing experiments and studies
- Collaborate with primary investigators and other scientists to analyze data in both exploratory and hypothesis driven approaches
- Create intuitive figures for publications, posters, and scientific meetings
- Co-author peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts
- Maintain thorough records for each project and ensure data are reliably backed-up
You will need:
- A PhD in Bioinformatics, Biology, Engineering, Computer Science, or Statistics with 3+ years’ experience with next generation sequencing analysis and bioinformatics tools preferred
- A Master’s Degree in one of the above fields with 5+ years of related work experience is also acceptable
- Experience analyzing massively-parallel bulk and single-cell RNA libraries is required
- Proficient use of UNIX based operating systems and associated command line interfaces
- R programming experience and familiarity with the Bioconductor repository
- A demonstrated ability of creating reproducible data analyses
- Knowledge of the statistical basis of massively-parallel RNA expression analysis
- Experience using version control software
- Excellent communication skills including presenting data to groups, intuitive figure creation, and scientific writing
- A solid understanding of molecular genetics
- Thorough record-keeping for each project
- Although you will not be working at the bench, a working knowledge of RNA and DNA preparation procedures for sequencing is a plus
- The ability to translate general biological questions into interpretable statistical or algorithmic procedures
Required: Include a link to a code repository (such as GitHub or Bitbucket) containing reproducible analyses that show your abilities within your resume or cover letter.
When you will work:
Hours: Monday through Friday, first shift hours
What’s in it for you?
- Complete insurance coverage – medical, dental, vision, life
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous paid time off
- Wellness program
- Major holidays off with pay