Flagship Labs 77 (FL77) is an early-stage biotechnology company with an ambitious and exciting mission: to lay the foundation for Global Pathogen Shield™ protective interventions that that can neutralize a wide range of the most dangerous and rapidly evolving infectious pathogen threats. The company is developing a revolutionary approach to this challenge and recruiting a team of top-tier scientists to build what it believes will be a powerful, first-in-category R&D platform.
FL77 is a product of Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, which has also given rise to companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Editas Medicines (NASDAQ: EDIT). Since Flagship’s founding in 2000, the firm has originated and fostered the development of more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $34 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and more than 50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents.
We are seeking a Data Engineer with strong experience in database design, computational pipeline development, and reproducible machine learning to build and support data infrastructure integrating innovative assays and facilitating analyses focused on the development of novel health interventions. The ideal candidate will have a track record of success in inventing and deploying sophisticated tools in high-volume, high-speed contexts, particularly as pertains to biological data including NGS sequencing, protein structure, and immunological assays. An essential element of the role will be the ability to collaborate closely with other R&D scientists while adapting to and integrating new experimental and computational methods and supporting experimentation in keeping with the company’s objectives.
- Work closely with molecular biologists and computational scientists within and beyond FL77 to design data infrastructure supporting innovative, proprietary assays and critical analyses
- Build tools supporting data access and inspection for both computational and non-computational users
- Develop data and model versioning systems for our proprietary machine learning system
- Identify relevant external tools and datasets, and build on these as necessary to support company objectives
- Communicate insights and conclusions to the scientific team and executive management
- Develop relationships with Flagship Pioneering’s broader science community and manage external consultants as needed
- Graduate degree in computational biology, bioinformatics, or computer science (or equivalent) & 4+ years in a relevant role
- Experience with biological sequence or protein structure datasets
- Experience CI/CD and/or DevOps
- Previous work in a cloud environment such as AWS
- Advanced knowledge of relational and nosql databases
- Experience with data pipelining tools
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.